Sunday, April 17, 2011

Whipple Procedure & A Miracle - Cancer – CarePages Discussion Forums

Whipple Procedure & A Miracle - Cancer – CarePages Discussion Forums: "I hope this note gives you hope: both my mother and sister have gone through the Whipple. We have what’s called Familial Adenoma Polyposis, (which can lead to cancer, another story for another day) my mother at the Brigham in the early 90’s, my sister almost three years ago, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville. It is in the range normal to develop abscesses whenever a doc messes with the pancreas. My mother had a tiny malignant adenoma and severe pancreatitis prior to her surgery, she was in her late 60’s. She had many drains to allow abscesses to drain, her surgery was in late September she was in and out of the hospital through Dec. . .and then it ended. My sister went home with drains, her surgery was precipitated by what is called desmoid tumors, a non-malignant growth in the upper digestive system, a facet of FAP. Her recovery again was tricky due to drains and such, but she’s fine now. I’m dealing with rectal cancer as I write this. I will, most likely, in the next ten years have a Whipple. Hold this thought: it may suck now, but you don’t have cancer AND you will recover, slowly, be patient with your body, ask your family to be patient with you and your recovery. You will be out of pain in the next few months. You will return to your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment